5 Ways to Teach Your Children About the Spirit of Christmas, Year Round
1. Kindness Towards OthersChristmas is a time when we go out of our way to be kind and thoughtful to one another. We do this by giving gifts, sending cards and wishing each other Merry Christmas. However, you can encourage your kids to do this all year round. Talk to your kids about how they can be kind and thoughtful and treat others with generosity and love.
2. Spending Quality Time TogetherOne of our most precious commodities is time. You can teach your children that it is important to make time for the ones we love, not just during the holiday season but all throughout the year as well. Plan activities throughout the year and make sure to take time to enjoy each other’s company.
3. Sharing a Family MealOn Christmas Day you spend hours making a delicious family meal, prepared from scratch with fresh ingredients. Everyone gathers around the table to savour it and spends time talking to each other. This is one of the best parts of Christmas, but it is also something you can take with you throughout the year. Try to get in the habit of cooking a home cooked meal and sitting down with the family to eat it at least once per week. This sets a great example for your kids and will have a very positive effect on your family's emotional health and connectedness. Plus, it's a lot healthier than eating take away fast food!
4. The Value of CharityChristmas is a popular time to help the less fortunate, whether you are donating clothing to a charity or volunteering at a food bank. People are in need of this help throughout the year, but sometimes this gets forgotten when it is not Christmastime. Do your best to teach your children about the value of charity. You can volunteer together as a family throughout the year, so that your little ones will learn about the importance of helping others in need. You can also give away your child’s old toys, so that they can go to another child who will appreciate them more.
5. Learning About Their Faith
Nativity scenes and the story of Jesus aren’t just for Christmas Time. Your children can learn the stories of their faith all throughout the year. There are many beautifully illustrated bible story books to read to them, as well as videos and more to supplement what they learn at church.